[Matroska-users] ATSC MPEG-2 Transport Stream Haali Splitter vs Purevideo

Luke Stepniowski rrluke at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 18 18:30:10 CEST 2007

To summarize first without going into much detail it seems that the latest
version of the Haali Media Splitter introduced a bug in 1.7.152.18 that
causes audio sync when using the Purevideo MPEG-2 decoder 1.02-223. The
audio sync problem is not present when using the Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder
6.0.0.3402. This sync issue between Purevideo and Haali was not present in
previous Haali Media Splitter version 1.7.121.0 but this version has issues
PQ related issues. This issues all seem related to 1080i transport streams
as 720p streams don't seem to have any noticeable problems but I haven't
done enough testing to confirm this 100% as a true statement.

I'll give with a little bit of background to give of what I'm dealing with
and with. I'm trying to come up with a DirectShow filter combination that
allows reliable playback of ATSC MPEG-2 Transport Streams (.TS) captured
from a HDHomerun from QAM cable. I'm running Comskip
(http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/) on these captures which identifies
commercials and outputs a chapter file marking commercials by the frame
numbers in the stream. The issue I'm having with every source/splitter
combination for TS with the exception of Haali is that it seems that frame
numbers aren't accurate which makes the comskip generated chapter point off
by 5-15 seconds in my DirectShow media Player (Zoomplayer Pro).

Is there any possibility to having Haali working with the Purevideo decoder?
I'm able to provide sample video files on a fast server and I'm willing to
perform any additional testing requested to come up with a solution for
this. I appreciate any assistance provided.

-luke