[Matroska-users] how to change the position of the subtitle?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:34:58 CET 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 05.25, Géraldine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am discovering the MKV and all its possibilities. That's working
> really fine and I am really happy about it but ... I am wondering
> about the position of the subtitles.
> I have several movies with the subtitles displayed too high on the
> screen and I was wondering what are the solution to change that.
> I have tried with several players (Media player, Core player) and
> their options offered but I didn't succed (I also haven't add any
> special filters).
> I guess that it is because the subtitles themselves are a part of a
> container and not a separate file (like an AVI + .srt for example)
> and that there is a big chance that I have to modify directly the
> MKV itself...

They are contained within the file, however the subtitle format can
still be SRT, Vob, ASS/SSA, etc. You can extract the subtitle file
and modify that, however.

> May I ask you to explain me a little bit about that and what
> solution I can use to modify the subtitles in general.
> Maybe there is an easy solution in these two players but I haven't
> found it!

Which players are you using? It may be possible to change subtitle
positioning in software, rather than having to modify the subtitles.

> Note that I went on the page of MKVToolnix to see the tools
> available but for windows, the only release is containing mkvmerge
> and as far as I have seen, I cannot modify subtitles with it... Can I?

No, not really, but there should be a way for you to extract the
subtitles, modify them, then re-merge the file (though you cannot
overwrite them, so you'll essentially have to, temporarily, create a
copy of the video). Also, MKVToolnix is designed for UNIX systems,
naturally a Windows version would be quite limited. However, if you
go down to the Download page for Matroksa (http://www.matroska.org/
downloads/windows.html) and scroll down to "editors" you can find
MkvExtractGUI which will allow you to extract the subtitles, which
you can then modify, then use MKVMerge to combine them into a new file.

> Thanks in advance for your answer.

No problem.