[Matroska-users] matroska

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Mar 7 20:33:22 CET 2007

marcella_tailor schrieb:
> Am 06.03.2007 um 19:49 schrieb Christian HJ Wiesner:
> marcella_tailor schrieb:
>>> your project only makes trouble.
>>> how could this be a standard if you are not able to handle all OS ?
>> would you be so kind to tell us what OS you are using ?
> hi, im using mac os 10.4.8 on a G5 dual 1,8ghz
>>> i wasted 5 hours on the web to find out how to demux or convert a
>>> mkv file.
>>> no solution.
>> Maybe your MKVs were not ment to be converted ? Did you ask the
>> author of the file why he was making a MKV, and not an AVI or MPEG ?
>> Maybe they are ment to just be watched and to be happy about this ?
> its a hdtv movie and i got it over two corners.
> theres no perfect info about the format or whatevers inside.
> i just want to extract the content and make it a dvd, nothing else.
>>> please stop developing this stupid incompatible format.
>> Here is your misunderstanding. matroska is NOT a format. Its a
>> general use audio and video container, allowing people to stuff
>> everything into it that is audio and video. From this unrivalled
>> flexibility does result the problem to support it perfectly in software.
> i know, i know, but i cant see any advantage in this if no dvd-player
> can handle it.
> i dont want to watch my movies on the computer.
>> Regards
>> Christian
>> matroska project admin
You just confirmed that this is a High Definition movie, and this was
the reason why the author of the file chose matroska as container.
Currently only matroska will allow to combine a high definition h.264
(AVC, Advanced Video Coding) video stream with an Dolby AC3 audio stream
into a single file. Here is your advantage, the one you didnt want to
see orginally.

Of course, no DVD player can handle this because no DVD player currently
can handle high definition video. At least not a normal DVD player.
Those few DVD player units which can handle high definition video
require special DVDs, and the file size of those will typically exceed
20 GB. Sharing 20 GB via internet ? Nice idea ....

Now as we do know why the author of the file chose matroska container
for it, how can we help you to convert it into a normal DVD, one you can
watch on your normal DVD player, and on MaxOSX even ? Well, the most
easiest way would be to use ConvertXtoDVD on Windows, but it seems you
have no access to such a Windows PC, at least not to convert a full DVD.

We have to admit that there is not a lot of Mac users in the matroska
team, however, we do have a lot of outside supporters meanwhile.  Just
recently they discussed about a tool called http://www.ffmpegx.com/ ,
doing exactly that ... converting MKV files into DVD, on a Mac. Of
course, we would have loved to tell you about that, but you preferred to
insult us first and to tell us to stop development of our 'stupid,
unusable format' ;-) ....

Best Regards