[Matroska-users] Theora + Matroska = Problem

Michael Day manveru at darklog.com
Thu Jun 21 16:34:33 CEST 2007

I'm trying to merge together theora video and vorbis audio into a
matroska file using mkvmerge. Problem is, after I merge the items
together and open the new mkv file, there's no video. Sound is fine, and
mkvinfo will tell me everything's there, but no video shows up.
Actually, no video shows up if I open it with Xine or VLC. If I open it
in Totem there's video, but the video plays much faster than it should.
 Speaking of which, the whole theora thing has been very confusing for
me. If I encode the video with ffmpeg2theora, the resulting file
displays the video too fast (like mkv does anyway using totem). If I
encode the video with VLC, it's fine. I can't figure out what's going
wrong. I don't even know if it's a problem with mkvmerge or with
libtheora or something else.

Any suggestions to how I can get a working file on my computer out of a
dvd that has two vorbis audio streams, theora video, and subtitles would
be very welcome. I know I can get everything into a working mkv file, I
just don't know how. Thanks.

Here's some info on what I'm working with:
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty
Linux 2.6.22-6-generic (uname -r)
ffmpeg2theora 0.16
VLC version 0.86 Janus
mkvmerge v2.0.0 ('After The Rain Has Fallen')