[Matroska-users] .mkv files won't play

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:44:44 CEST 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 18.03, Mitchell Martineau wrote:

> i installed the CCCP and tried to play it but it errors out i ran a
> diag on it and heres the logfile....tell what i'm doing wrong!!

Well, it doesn't seem to be anything that YOU are doing wrong, but
more of just something you're lacking. This would be the offending
line here:

RenderFile with DirectShow : The media type of this file is not
recognized. (0x80040240)

My guess is that it's a missing codec, most likely a video codec. I'm
going to surmise it's probably an H.264 codec you're missing, as its
popularity (and the percentage of Matroska files containing H.264) is
skyrocketing. It's been ages since I've worked with Windows, but the
two codec sources of H.264 that I'm aware of would be Apple, in
QuickTime 7; and Ahead's Nero in their latest burning software.
However, I'm not sure if the H.264 codec will work outside of
QuickTime, or if you can get Ahead's codec without purchasing Nero.

Since we don't know what the codec is that we're missing, my only
advice is to use VLC from http://www.videolan.org It contains
maybe... twenty to fifty (I don't know the exact number) of
internally linked codecs, and you should probably never need to
install another codec ever again, so long as you use VLC. You'll find
it also has native support for multiple audio, video and subtitle
tracks, as well as chapters.

Worst case, if this is a codec so unusual, so rare, so unheard of
that even VLC doesn't have a codec for it (and that's HIGHLY
unlikely), we can at least use it as a tool to determine what codec
we do need. However, I'm going to bet that all you'll ever need is VLC.