[Matroska-users] .mkv files on mac?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:07:24 CEST 2007

On 8/19/07, Jan Deryckere <beepants at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Jan and i was wondering, u say .mkv files are playabe on
> mac, but i can't seem to get that work, which player and codecs do u
> need?

VLC is all I've ever needed.

> I've tried vlc, mplayer, quicktime and realplayer but none of them work.

I've used all four of those programs, and neither VLC nor MPlayer have
given me any problems. QuickTime and RealPlayer don't support Matroska
natively, so there's no surprise that those aren't working. However,
VLC and MPlayer include Matroska compatibility "out of the box."

I'm going to assume that when you attempt to play the MKV file, VLC
and MPlayer spit out errors. If you could copy and paste those errors
into a reply to this message, we might be able to figure out what's
wrong. But until then, try downloading the latest version of VLC from
http://www.videolan.org

Unless you're comfortable with the command line, I don't recommend
monkeying around with MPlayer as it's quite complex, and is always
best when compiled from source.

Sorry for the late reply.