[Matroska-users] Matroska questions

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:55:05 CEST 2007

On Aug 19, 2007, at 19.19, nerox at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions about matroska.
> First, I would like to use file linking on linux with chapters.
> I didn't succeed to make it working...
> example with an episode of Stargate :
> 01.mkv, 02.mkv... + intro.mkv
> => 00:00 - 00:03 : Beginning (01.mkv)
> => 00:03 - 00:05 : Intro (intro.mkv)
> => 00:05 - 40:00 : 01.mkv
> + link-next of 02.mkv SID

I was always under the impression that chapters were layed on top of
a complete (IE, non-linked) file. But then again, I could be wrong.

> Can someone post an example of chapters.xml and segmentinfo.xml ?

I believe there's an chapter.xml template in the MKVtoolsNIX
documentation, at least on the web site. However, at this point I'm
not convinced that it's nessessary to use anything other than simple
chapters (the kind used in OGM files) since there isn't anything I'm
aware of that really takes advantage of the more dense data stored in
the XML.

> Also, what's new with mkv menus ? Is it possible to do DVD => MKV
> easily ?Can we
> build our own menu and how ?

DVD -> MKV is relatively easy. DVD -> MKV with anything other than
just a single title, a sound track (or two) and simple chapters, no
so easy. I haven't heard much on menus yet, so I'm not too sure
they're viable at this point, and I don't even know if there are any
programs out there that know how to handle an MKV Menu, let alone
generate one.