[Matroska-users] problem converting from avi to matroska

bayrouni bayrouni at brutele.be
Tue Apr 24 20:41:34 CEST 2007

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2007, at 16.38, bayrouni wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just encoded a vob file to mkv.
>>
>> The first step is encode to avi(x264, ac3).
>> The second step is converting to mkv(x264, ac3) container.
>>
>> the avi(x264, ac3) size is :  2,4G
>>
>> mkvmerge -o title.mkv title.avi result is:
>>
>> title.mkv: 1023M
>>
>> And obviously the video is truncated.
>>
>> Sure that  I am doing something wrong and bad.
>
> Impossible to say without more information. What encoding program did
> you use? What settings did you use for remuxing to MKV? What operating
> system are you using? And what format is the partition you're writing
> to? Any of these things could possibly have an affect on the outcome.
> d:weight_b:threads=auto \

Hello,

I am using mencoder to encode with:

bitrate is 1500.
cropping dermined with mplayer -vf detectcrop.

mencoder ${TITLE} -ovc x264  -vf crop=${CROP},harddup
     -x264encopts
pass=1:turbo=1:bitrate=${BITRATE}:subq=4:bframes=3:psnr:ssim:b_pyramid:weight_b:threads=auto

     -oac copy                                           \

     -of avi                                             \
     -o ${TITLE%.vob}_pass1.avi

and the same without turbo for pass=2

-ovc x264 -x264encopts
subq=6:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:threads=auto:pass=2:psnr:bitrate=${BITRATE}\

I notice something not normal in the avi (after 2 pass). :  cannot do
seeking.  I used the same options for many videos DVD  and they work
fine as avi and as mkv.

What could be causing the anomaly: can't seeking when I press arrows
with mplayer?

At the first step to pass to mkv, I use simply:
mkvmerge -o title.mkv title.avi
The avi contains yet x264 and ac3 audio.
I never had this issue before.
My operating system is debian lenny and reiserfs partition.

The same os, partions mencoder options mkv merging worked fine with all
others DVDs.

Thank you