[Matroska-users] converting MKV

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Oct 24 20:35:08 CEST 2006

http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/dvd/index.html

We can expect potential users to do a little bit of searching on our
homepage, can we ? Please, do us the favour and spread your nonsense
about 'dead-end-formats' someplace else. Riverpast is M$ DirectShow
based and will work for maybe 25% of the MKV files, in best case. Be
happy it worked for your MKV, whereever you obtained it, and leave us alone.

BTW : MPEG2 encoders are subject to patents and do cost money, and we
all are living in countries where copyright laws are valid and violation
prosecuted. So why on earth should we invest time to develop a MKV to
MPEG2 encoder ? To get critized for offering such a tool for money, if
there are many freeware tools available, offered from places that dont
care about MPEG licenses ?

BTW2 : We hear that right now WinAVI is the most powerful MKV-to-DVD
converter, but none of us has the time to work on a Guide about it. Our
focus is on improving our container, not on ways to convert MKV files
into other stuff.
Feel welcome to write such a Guide, and if possible in all supported
languages on matroska.org, we promise to publish it.

Regards