[Matroska-users] Re: MatroskaSplitter: Default OGM language problem

Bernhard Ege bernhard at ege.cc
Sat May 13 21:00:37 CEST 2006

Mike Matsnev wrote:
 > Bernhard Ege wrote:
 >> I have tried many variations of eng,usa,com,unk,und (I am guessing
 >> here, can't find any documentation) in the Language configuration in
 >> MatroskaSplitter but it has yet to have any influence on the
 >> situation.
 > Language codes are listed in iso-639-2
 > (http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html#two)

Thanks. Still didn't help even the slightest though. MatroskaSplitter
seems unable to override the language setting regardless of which
application I use.

 >> How do I make MatroskaSplitter select the English language over the
 >> Commentary, always?
 > It's WPM10. It selects this audio track on its own. Maybe you can
 > change something in its preferences. I don't use it, so I don't know.

It is not possible it seems. WMP10 has a default language setting but
seeing as it doesn't use iso-639-2 codes, it wont work (at least, it
doesn't work). WMP10 seems doomed to always select the wrong language.
But so is WMP6.4 and BSPlayer also has trouble it seems.

If there is no solution to make WMP10 and MatroskaSplitter work
together, well, then I may just as well use OggDS 0.9.9.5 again. At
least it always chose the first language which happens to be the one I
need as default. Or use VLC media player that also selects the first
track as default.

I just thought that the language setting in MatroskaSplitter would have
some effect on this situation. What is it then for if not for this?

Also, MatroskaSplitter causes WMP10 to crash... all in all, OggDS is
probably still a better choice for ogm files, even though it can crash
explorer (although not nearly as often then wmp10 is crashed by
MatroskaSplitter) :-/

Thanks,

Bernhard