[Matroska-users] Re: Concatenating Ogg/Theora

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat May 6 09:23:53 CEST 2006

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> Pablo Lorenzzoni schrieb:
>
>> Hello!
>> I read [1] that mkvtoolnix is able to concatenate Ogg/Theora files by
>> first merging and then extracting it. I am not quite sure how to do
>> that, since manpage for mkvextract states that
>> "Each output name should be used only once. The exception are RealAudio
>> and RealVideo tracks."
>> Since I want to get two Ogg/Theora files into one (and chaining them is
>> not an option), I would very much like to understand what was that you
>> meant in that email.
>> Best regards,Pablo

The manpage is probably right and you should extract the audio and video
tracks separately. You can then merge these files into matroska and
maybe ogg with the appropriate tools.

It's almost impossible for mkvmerge to merge extracted files as they
often don't support the same containers (and would require a muxer for
all these other containers).