[Matroska-users] Re: Decoder ID

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Mar 11 08:17:55 CET 2006

Hi Gurdeep,

we have no idea of how 'River Past Video Cleaner' is working, we beleive
its a DirectShow based converting tool. You have to understand, that
matroska has been invented primarily to overcome many of the existing
limitations of AVI. For this reason, MKV files can contain a number of
different audio, video or subtitles streams which are absolutely
INCOMPATIBLE with old AVI.

The most advanced AVI muxing tool is avi-mux GUI from
http://alexnoe.matroska.org, it can convert most MKV files into AVI, but
not all. However, depending on what you are trying to do, the resulting
AVI file may not be usable for you, e.g. very likely these files will
not play on standalone DivX players with AVI support.

If this is your goal, you should try a tool like
http://mediacoder.sf.net or http://alltoavi.sf.net , requiring
reeconding of the video and audio streams, so that the result is an AVI
which is compatible with your standlone player. For MKV to DVD
conversion, its better to skip the AVI conversion step, and do a direct
conversion. Check our Guide section for that :
http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/dvd/index.html