[Matroska-users] using the Matroska to DVD conversion guide

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Jun 12 10:32:08 CEST 2006

nee luong schrieb:

> Hi, i was following the Matroska to DVD conversion guide using
> DVDSanta, but when I tried to add a file I get an "Unsupported Video
> Stream" error message from DVDsanta and the a messange saying "Unable
> to add file".
>
> Is there a while to resolve this?  I am using DVDSanta 4.00 build 6001.
>
> text report:
> Matroska file info : J:\the movie.mkv
> File size : 4.37 GB
> Tracks : 3
> Track 1 : Video
>    - Codec : (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
>    - Pixel Width : 1280
>    - Pixel Height : 720

Hi,

its no wonder you can't play the file in synch even with your powerful P
IV Prescott CPU. This is one of the very rare test files in HD-TV
resolution (1280 x 720 pixels !), using the extremely CPU consuming
h.264 (AVC) video compression format. I wonder who is distributing such
stuff without very clear advice to people on how to play it, and what
the minimum requirements for hardware are.

DVD Santa won't work here, because the picture input resolution is
higher than DVD standard (720 x 480/576 ; read my comments in the Guide
again - it should have been clear to you).
I recommend to either look at Mediacoder (http://mediacoder.sf.net) for
the MPEG conversion to DVD, or to learn how to use AVIsynth as a
scriptable input converter including downsizing of the picture
resolution into other programs, accepting AVI input. Doom9.org is
usually a good source of information here.

Regards

Chritian
matroska project admin

P.S. Its possible that by using VLC http://videolan.org or the great new
CoreAVC DirectShow filter from http://corecodec.com for fast AVC
decoding your movie will play fina and in synch.