[Matroska-users] Cannot Extract Tracks (Garbled Output)

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 21:10:53 CEST 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 01.26, Mark Kane wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006, at 23:57:00 -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>> Well, your MPlayer version is waaaaay out of date. Upgrading to SVN
>> is advised.
>
> I'm using the latest from the FreeBSD ports system. Reading the
> changes
> on the port, it's said to be using 1.0pre7, which sounds fairly close
> to the "1.0pre7try2" that's on the MPlayer site. I understand SVN is
> current and the most up to date, but I am using the newest version
> that
> has been ported to my OS.

Even 1.0pre7 is ages out of date. The guys on the MPlayer Mailing
List pretty much refuse to help anyone who is still using it because
there have been so many bugfixes and enhancements since then.
Including one or two that have to do with seeking (and other things)
in MKV files. But it's your call. Compiling from scratch isn't that
bad. You'll get tons of features you probably couldn't get otherwise
(including the ability to encode to H.264)

Part of your problem probably is that 1.0pre7 is out of date. The H.
264 upgrades to FFMPEG between now and then have been by leaps and
bounds. The support in 1.0pre7 (even try2) is a paltry offering
compared to what is available. Your problem with forcing the codec
might be that your version of MPlayer doesn't understand the codec
you're trying to use.

>> The data is missing. It seems the mailing list system must have
>> stripped out the attachment. But, in this case, I think Moritz
>> Bunkus is on the right track, about the output being a straight
>> H.264 stream. You might have to remux the output file as an MKV file
>> in order to use it.
>
> I'll just paste the text onto the end of this message. My end goal is
> to load the audio+video into Avidemux2 and convert it further....but
> Avidemux doesn't load the extracted video either. I originally
> asked on
> the Avidemux forum, and they said I needed Matroska to demux the file,
> and then I could load it into Avidemux. If no players can play the
> extracted tracks though, then I can't expect Avidemux to be able to
> load them either.

Well, let's just do this in one simple step:

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy (input file).mkv -o (output file).avi

I've had some problems with SOME MKV files losing audio sync, or
screwing up the keyframes, though I believe this might just be
limited to a select set of MKV files I generated. Your milage may vary.

> Again, sorry if this is a "noobish" type question/problem, but I'm
> just
> thinking there is something wrong with the extracting, or how I'm
> doing
> it.

No problem. I've had n00bish problems before too.