[Matroska-users] Cannot Extract Tracks (Garbled Output)

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 06:57:00 CEST 2006


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Jun 9, 2006, at 11.00, Mark Kane wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006, at 02:03:35 -0500, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
>> Sounds like MPlayer can't recognize the file, and deciding it's a
>> raw DV stream (happens quite commonly with damaged AVI/MPEG headers).
>> I have to ask, though: what version are you using? Some MPlayer
>> versions have had some bad demuxers. You might want to use the
>> latest SVN for the best results. Anyway, sounds like a busted AVI
>> header. Have you tried forcing the use of a decoder, such as
>> - -vc ffmpegh264
>> to force the use of the FFMPEG H.264 decoder, instead of MPlayer
>> deciding on the raw DV decoder. Just use -ac help OR -vc help to
>> determine what decoders are available.
>
> Hi, thanks for the reply.
>
> MPlayer version is 0.99.7_14. I've also tried playing the  
> extracted .avi
> in VLC and Xine, neither will play it. VLC shows the seek bar going  
> from
> left to right for about 2 seconds, then stops, but no video shows (it
> doesn't show an audio/video track either). Xine says it can't find a
> demuxer plugin. With the "More" button, it says:

Well, your MPlayer version is waaaaay out of date. Upgrading to SVN  
is advised.

> xine: found demuxer plugin: Elementary MPEG stream demux plugin
>
> MPlayer and Xine both play the original Matroska files fine, however
> VLC won't show video output on the original .mkv. It shows the seek  
> bar
> moving throughout the entire clip duration, and shows "avc1" as the
> codec, plays the audio, but no video output.
>
> I tried the mplayer suggestion of the forcing video codec, but it
> doesn't play anything this time. Here is what it says:
>
> Playing file.avi.
> AVI: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
> RAWDV file format detected.
> VIDEO:  [DVSD]  720x480  24bpp  29.970 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)

hmm. Seems MPlayer is expecting a container. See below for notes.

>
>> Can you send us the output of mkvinfo? This should help us determine
>> if it's a damaged file, or a problem with your software. Also, have
>> you tried remuxing the file? IE: mkvmerge (input).mkv -o
>> (output).mkv? Perhaps that might help fix the file, if there's
>> something wrong with it.
>
> Sure, the output of mkvinfo is attached. I tried remuxing but it's the
> same result. I think the original Matroska files are fine, just
> something in the process of extracting the tracks.

The data is missing. It seems the mailing list system must have  
stripped out the attachment. But, in this case, I think Moritz Bunkus  
is on the right track, about the output being a straight H.264  
stream. You might have to remux the output file as an MKV file in  
order to use it.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFEilEc187keuSyQSQRAuu1AJ925XIDd61epCcDZWEnn0oedlbV1ACdGC3F
Wd0pG41TOTM+Vu+Lmcm7BDs=
=O89c
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the Matroska-users mailing list