[Matroska-users] How to view subtitles

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 20:27:24 CEST 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 17.27, Pepe Chas wrote:

> Hi,
> i downloaded the new version of VLC media player to view a
> movie.mkv, but i can't see correctly the subtitles.srt. I tried to
> change to subtitles.sub, but the problem persist. Could you tell me
> what is the format compatible with mkv?

That's not how subtitles with Matroska work. The idea is that the
subtitles are EMBEDDED in the file. That is, you don't need a
separate subtitle file, it's a part of the video. In VLC, click on
the Video menu, and there should be a sub-option labeled Subtitles.
You will then be presented with all of the subtitle streams that are
embedded in the video, listed by both language and title. The same
holds true for multiple audio and video tracks. For video tracks,
it's Video -> Video Tracks, and Audio, Audio -> Audio Tracks.