[Matroska-users] Re : .x264.mkv file.

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 08:12:14 CET 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 03.11, Stephan Verhoeven wrote:

> If it really is 1080i: ffmpeg cannot decode interlaced h264, so
> neither will VLC, nor ffdshow.
Well, I think there's a lot of unanswered questions here, and this
only brings up more.

First off, we know that this was encoded with x264 (If it was encoded
with a true H.264 encoder, it would probably say "h264" or "AVC"
instead of x264 in the file name). VLC developed x264. So,
theoretically, if it can encode this file, it should be able to
encode it. At least, that is as far as my understanding is (which
could be wrong).

Second, I think we now need to have this question answered: Since
it's obvious that this video is encoded at the 1080 resolution, do we
know that it is really interlaced, or is it 1080p, and mistakenly
labeled 1080i? Or was it even labeled 1080i?

I don't think we actually know enough at this point to answer this
question. Mr. Subash Adhikari, could you please go over all the
replies and try to answer the questions? We might be able to solve
your problem then, but until then, we are like a lost No. 5,
helplessly calling out "INPUT! INPUT!"