[Matroska-users] Re : .x264.mkv file.

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 20:41:20 CET 2006


On Feb 8, 2006, at 16.12, thetrueavatar thetrueavatar wrote:

> What you really have is a video encoded in x264 that has been muxed  
> into a mkv container.
> First you should remove all the crappy codecs that you have  
> installed before. You should use codecsnipper which is a simple  
> program that will help you to do that.
> Then, you should install a h264 decoder. The simplest way is to  
> install a  pack.
> I suggest you to install satsuki decoder pack which is for me the  
> best pack because with it you only get what you really need (no  
> encoder provided with it only decoder).
> I'm sure it support x264+aac into a mkv.
Actually, all that is irrelevant. Subash says he's using VLC, which  
doesn't touch the VFW stuff you're talking about. It uses all  
internal codecs. And seeing that the VLC guys developed x264, I'm  
guessing it would work.

There's one of two guesses here. First (and most likely): Your copy  
of VLC is out of date. The video was encoded with a newer version of  
x264 than you have on hand, therefore it's causing VLC to crash.
Second: Your CPU might actually not be fast enough to handle this.  
You say you're using a Centrino CPU. That means you're using a  
laptop, right? Are you using it plugged in, or unplugged? Because  
unplugged, the CPU should be stepping down the amount of processing  
power it's using (thus reducing power consumption, and lengthening  
battery life).
Third: This could be a poorly muxed MKV file. Someone could have  
tried to tinker with the data in the file, and did something that  
screwed it up.
Fourth (very unlikely): You have bad RAM. You could run a RAM checker  
like memtest86, see what happens, but I'm willing to bet this isn't  
your problem.
>
>
>
> 2006/2/7, Subash Adhikari <bluemarble150 at yahoo.co.uk>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a .x264.mkv file.  I have tried all the payers and codec  
> packs found on the matroska wesite to play this file. The results  
> are not very good, with VLC player i can play it for aorund  
> 40seconds before VLC crashes/freezes. The same happens with most  
> players, intermittant video/just sound no video. What can i do to  
> recitfy this problem. I would appreciate any information.
>
> The video size is 9.2GB in 1080i HD.
>
> My Hardware:
>
> 1.6GHz, 400MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache(Centrino)
> 512MB DDR SDRAM.
>
> Thanks a Lot.
> Cheers.
> Subash .A
>
> Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide  
> with voicemail
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Matroska-users mailing list
> Matroska-users at lists.matroska.org
> http://lists.matroska.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/matroska-users
> Read Matroska-Users on GMane: http://dir.gmane.org/ 
> gmane.comp.multimedia.matroska.user
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Matroska-users mailing list
> Matroska-users at lists.matroska.org
> http://lists.matroska.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/matroska-users
> Read Matroska-Users on GMane: http://dir.gmane.org/ 
> gmane.comp.multimedia.matroska.user

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-users/attachments/20060212/f73346ca/attachment-0002.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-users/attachments/20060212/f73346ca/attachment-0002.pgp>


More information about the Matroska-users mailing list