[Matroska-users] Two things I thought of, using matroska!

Simon Heckmann heckmann at fbihome.de
Mon Feb 6 12:13:11 CET 2006

Hi,

thanks for your feedback so far. All this solutions will surely work,
but it won't be the best idea, right? I could add a empty subtitle
stream, but this not a beautiful solution. Disabling Subtitles by
default is also not suitable. I think the most user friendly way would
be the following: A flag for each stream type if it should be played.
Example:

Audio flag: 1, default track 0: the first Audiofile will be played on
startup;
Subtitle flag: 1, default track 3: the 4th SubtitleStream will be
displayed on startup
Audio flag: 0, default track ?: no Audio will be played until it is
selected by the user
Subtitle flag 0, default track ?: no Subtitle will be played until it is
selected by the user.

Actually for Audio this would not be so important, but for subtitles
would be a good solution. So if you have a movie like StarWars with
speech you don't speek nativly you could add the translation to subtitle
no 3 for example and set this parameters: Subtitle flag 1, default 2. If
you have a englich Movie you can add a englisch subtitle and set
Subtitle flag to 0, so no Subtitles are shown on startup, unless i
select them in Haalis Splitter (or whereever). This is just a
suggestion, but i think a so mighty container as Matroska should feature
such a thing. What do you think?

About the Editions, i used AviMuxGui to create the XML and used mkvmerge
for muxing. As said, the file works fine. its only the switching thats
uncomfortable. I thought of two implementations: 1. in the file again a
flag like <remember_position>1</remember_position> or 2. a option in the
player. But in fact in the file would be better, because somtimes you
might want to play from the start on each angle-change.

Please note, this are only suggestions, they just came to my mind, of
course you do, what you think is best. I just thought I tell you my
thoughts as a user!

I hope you'll find a way!
Yours Simon Heckmann