[Matroska-users] Problems loading mkv file in DVD santa

John Cannon spyder482 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:02:06 CET 2006

Hi,

I am assuming that the file in question is from an HDTV source in
which case it's not stupid to have a 1280x720 resolution.  Re-encoding
to a lower resolution before encoding to DVD is also insane.  DVD
Santa should include some resizer to downscale the video.  If not use
Avisynth and DirectShowSource.

Another thng to look at is whether DVD Santa uses the DirectShow
decoders.  If it does you can use ffdshow's resizing code to resize
also.

John Cannon

On 2/3/06, Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i beleive the problem is that the video of this file has an incredibly
> high (and unnecessary) resolution :
>
>     * *Pixel Width* : 1280
>     * *Pixel Height* : 720
>
> A normal DVD, and for 99,99% certain the source of this file was a DVD
> once, has a max resolution of 720 x 480 (NTSC), and it makes no sense at
> all to increase the pixel resolution. You can never get a higher
> resolution than the original DVD has, so this is really stupid.
>
> Obviously DVD Santa can not handle such an abnormal high input
> resolution, thats why its failing on this video stream. Your only chance
> to handle this file is :
>
> - Use MKVextract from http://mkvtoolnix.matroska.org to extract the
> video stream alone into AVI
> - feed the AVI into Virtualdub or VirtualdubMod, and reduce the number
> of pixels by using a 'resizing filter', preferably to something like
> only half the resolution (640 x 360). This means you have to have your
> PC run for several hours, as it has to reencode the movie completely
> (XviD codec is excellent for this).
> - mux a new MKV using mkvmerge and mmg.exe (the GUI), also from
> mkvtoolnix, with the new video and the old audio
> - run DVD Santa
>
> Alternatively, you can
> - download foobar2000 audio player/converter (http://www.foobar2000.org,
> get the 'special installer' and activate installation of the matroska
> plugin)
> - load your MKV and convert the audio from AAC into a high bitrate MP3
> (320 kbps)
> - extract your Video from the MKV with mkvextract into an AVI, as above
> - convert to lower resolution with Virtualdub, like above
> - use Virtualdub to add the high bitrate MP3 to the AVI
> - convert the AVI with DVD Santa or any other DVD encoder (file will be
> higher size, but that doesnt matter as you only need it for conversion)
>
> Christian
> matroska project admin
> http://www.matroska.org
>

> The Jesster schrieb:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently tried converting an mkv file to DVD using the guide found
> > here: http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/dvd/index.html
> >
> > However, when I tried loading the file in DVD Santa, I got an
> > "Unsupported Video Stream" error.
> >
> > Attached is the report generated by matroskadiag.exe on the problem file.
> >
> > -=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

> >     Matroska file info : E:\Videos\Kamichu!-01_HDTV_720p_[MEYRIN].mkv
> >
> > *File size* : 369.03 MB
> > *File complete* : yes
> > *Duration* : 00:23:24.972
> > *Title* : かみちゅ! 第1回 「青春のいじわる」
> > *Writing application* : mkvmerge v1.5.0 ('It's alright, baby') built
> > on Jul 1 2005 10:35:18
> > *Muxing application* : libebml v0.7.5 + libmatroska v0.7.7
> > *Date* : 2004-07-11 18:46:29.000
> > *Tracks* : 3
> > *Track 1* : Video

> [...]

John Cannon