[Matroska-users] Problems loading mkv file in DVD santa

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Feb 3 18:53:31 CET 2006

Hi,

i beleive the problem is that the video of this file has an incredibly
high (and unnecessary) resolution :

    * *Pixel Width* : 1280
    * *Pixel Height* : 720

A normal DVD, and for 99,99% certain the source of this file was a DVD
once, has a max resolution of 720 x 480 (NTSC), and it makes no sense at
all to increase the pixel resolution. You can never get a higher
resolution than the original DVD has, so this is really stupid.

Obviously DVD Santa can not handle such an abnormal high input
resolution, thats why its failing on this video stream. Your only chance
to handle this file is :

- Use MKVextract from http://mkvtoolnix.matroska.org to extract the
video stream alone into AVI
- feed the AVI into Virtualdub or VirtualdubMod, and reduce the number
of pixels by using a 'resizing filter', preferably to something like
only half the resolution (640 x 360). This means you have to have your
PC run for several hours, as it has to reencode the movie completely
(XviD codec is excellent for this).
- mux a new MKV using mkvmerge and mmg.exe (the GUI), also from
mkvtoolnix, with the new video and the old audio
- run DVD Santa

Alternatively, you can
- download foobar2000 audio player/converter (http://www.foobar2000.org,
get the 'special installer' and activate installation of the matroska
plugin)
- load your MKV and convert the audio from AAC into a high bitrate MP3
(320 kbps)
- extract your Video from the MKV with mkvextract into an AVI, as above
- convert to lower resolution with Virtualdub, like above
- use Virtualdub to add the high bitrate MP3 to the AVI
- convert the AVI with DVD Santa or any other DVD encoder (file will be
higher size, but that doesnt matter as you only need it for conversion)

http://www.matroska.org