[Matroska-users] Re: matroska Codec

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Feb 6 18:04:12 CET 2006

Hi Ismail,

please direct requests like this in future to our user mailing list,
matroska-users AT lists DOT matroska DOT org (see CC.). It was made
specifically for such questions, and you will get answers much quicker
then by sending them to me personally.

To create MKVs from AVIs or other containers, use either
- mkvmerge / mm.exe from the mkvtoolnix package
http://mkvtoolnix.matroska.org
- avi-mux Gui from http://alexnoe.matroska.org

matroska is a container, not a complete format, and MKV files can
contain many different audio and video codecs (compression formats) and
subtitle formats, so there is no complete decoder library. The most
complete is probably FFMPEG, or its Windows derivate FFDshow (DirectShow
filter) for Windows Mediaplayer and all other DirectShow based players.
Its coming in the matroska DirectShow full pack
http://packs.matroska.org . After installation of this pack, you should
be able to play most MKV files out there (only ON2 VP7 and Realvideo
codecs missing then, to name the most often used in MKV).

Regards