[Matroska-users] Fwd: MKV-Files

Hanspeter Spalinger hanfi68 at gmx.net
Sun Nov 20 12:11:39 CET 2005

Am 19.11.2005 um 12:52 schrieb Christian HJ Wiesner:

> Hi Jens,
>
> no, MKVtoolnix is for editing and creation of MKV files, not for
> playback. You do have several options :
>
> 1. VLC (http://videolan.org) : Support for 98% of all existing MKV
> files, only those using ON2VP6/7 (unlikely) or Realvideo (French
> release scene, like [XTC] team) are not supported. Requires no
> additional decoder filters, as its self contained, so there is no
> possible interference with playback for any other mediatypes in
> Windows Mediaplayer.
>
> 2. matroska DirectShow playback pack (http://packs.matroska.org) :
> First install the lite pack, and make a first test. If it doesn't
> play then, you don't have the right decoder filters for the video
> and audio streams on your computer, and you have to use the full
> pack instead.  After installation of the full pack, the MKV files
> should play fine in Windows Mediaplayer or any other DirectShow
> based player, like TCMP, Zoomplayer or MPC. If they still don't
> play, your MKV file is using some exotic audio or video codec. For
> these cases we include a tool into the full pack, called
> 'matroskadiag.exe' . It will analyze your file and find out what
> audio or video compression method was used, and if it knows it,
> will point you to a place where you can obtain the necessary
> decoder filters.
> 3. Xine or mplayer will also play most MKV files, on Linux
> Gstreamer is another possible option
4. get CCCP. It will install everything needed for watching mostly
all available movie formats (no real-player and newest MS-format
cause their proprietary). Its a anime-community-project, but usable
for most off all movies too. Their goal was to create a package, so
when playback issues arrive, they just say: "install cccp and
everything works". It includes players and codecs, filters,...
look at http://www.kickassanime.org/wiki/index.php?title=CCCP to get
more infos.

> Regards
>
> Christian
> matroska project admin
> http://www.matroska.org
>
> P.S. Als Doktor solltest Du ja wohl etwas Englisch können, und
> diese Liste (matroska-users) ist englischsprachig ;-) ....

greetings HP