[Matroska-users] Fwd: MKV-Files

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Nov 19 12:52:22 CET 2005

Hi Jens,

no, MKVtoolnix is for editing and creation of MKV files, not for
playback. You do have several options :

1. VLC (http://videolan.org) : Support for 98% of all existing MKV
files, only those using ON2VP6/7 (unlikely) or Realvideo (French release
scene, like [XTC] team) are not supported. Requires no additional
decoder filters, as its self contained, so there is no possible
interference with playback for any other mediatypes in Windows Mediaplayer.

2. matroska DirectShow playback pack (http://packs.matroska.org) : First
install the lite pack, and make a first test. If it doesn't play then,
you don't have the right decoder filters for the video and audio streams
on your computer, and you have to use the full pack instead.  After
installation of the full pack, the MKV files should play fine in Windows
Mediaplayer or any other DirectShow based player, like TCMP, Zoomplayer
or MPC. If they still don't play, your MKV file is using some exotic
audio or video codec. For these cases we include a tool into the full
pack, called 'matroskadiag.exe' . It will analyze your file and find out
what audio or video compression method was used, and if it knows it,
will point you to a place where you can obtain the necessary decoder
filters.

3. Xine or mplayer will also play most MKV files, on Linux Gstreamer is
another possible option

Regards

http://www.matroska.org

P.S. Als Doktor solltest Du ja wohl etwas Englisch können, und diese
Liste (matroska-users) ist englischsprachig ;-) ....