[Matroska-users] Nothing works to playback Matroska files.

Abrasha abrasha at abrasha.com
Sat Jan 1 22:29:42 CET 2005

So I downloaded a movie in a format that I was not familiar with.  Soon found
out, that .mkv stands for Matroska, so I went to the matroska site.

I downloaded all the codecs. I downloaded The Core Media Player, I downloaded
the Classic Media Player.

The movie files would not open in any of my media players.

I downloaded VirtualdubMOD to try and convert the .mkv files to .AVI files that
I could then possibly play with my DivX player.  This is supposedly possible
according to videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241422)

I could not open the movie .mkv files in VirtualdubMOD.  I got a cryptic error
message, that says:

only handle (S_TEXT(subs for the moment

Very useful indeed.

I am not a novice user.  I am quite familiar with installing and using various
video and audio codec.  As well as with installing and using various media players.

It is painfully clear, that these Matroska codecs and their playback are a long
way off from prime time.  If I can't figure out, how to play a few movie files,
I don't think this format is ever going to be worth anything.

In fact, in my humble opinion, in it's current state

MATROSKA BLOWS!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com