[Matroska-users] Re: [Matroska-general] Nothing works to playback Matroska files.

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Jan 2 09:28:58 CET 2005

Abrasha schrieb:

> So I downloaded a movie in a format that I was not familiar with.
> Soon found out, that .mkv stands for Matroska, so I went to the
> matroska site.
> I downloaded all the codecs. I downloaded The Core Media Player, I
> downloaded the Classic Media Player.
> The movie files would not open in any of my media players.
> [snip]
> In fact, in my humble opinion, in it's current state
>
> MATROSKA BLOWS!
>
> Abrasha
> http://www.abrasha.com

Nice. You are downloading a pirated movie from the internet, you dont
even know if its a fake file, but you feel its a good idea to 'motivate'
us to help you by telling us our project sucks. Your email was probably
the result of a frustrating evening of trying to get the file to play
..... still i'd claim you owe us an apology.

I bet my right arm that your movie contains Realvideo ( RV 9 , RV 10,
FourCC : RV40 ), and this means you have to install either Realplayer (
dont use it to play the MKV file, just install it as it will bring the
right decoder for Realvideo decompression to your PC ), or
RealAlternative to play the file. In our latest installer pack ( 1.0.3 )
we were adding a HUGE WARNING IN BOLT LETTERS for those user who cant
read, or are too lazy for that, that they dont have the right decoders
for Realvideo on their PC, as we know there are many MKV files with
Realvideo out there in the wild. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to
ship the Realvideo decoders with our packs, RealNetworks strictly forbid
that for licensing reasons.

There is another nice tool advertised in our new section, made by Toff,
that could help you here. Its called matroskadiag.exe (
http://www.matroska.org/%7Etoff/MatroskaDiag.exe ) and will analyze your
MKV files for missing codecs.