[Matroska-users] MKV to AVI

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Dec 27 17:28:26 CET 2005

Craig Watson schrieb:

> I have a DVD player that plays AVI files.
> Is there a way to change mkv files to AVI so that I can burn it to a
> disk and it will play on my inflexible hardware?

Craig, MKV is a very powerful container and it can contain MANY
different video and audio compression formats. As a result of that,
there is no general statement if a MKV file can be converted into AVI or
not, and what is even more important for you, if your standalone player
can then play the AVI or not. Don't forget, while 99% of the AVIs out
there are MPEG4 video + MP3 audio (and this is very likely the only
profile your standalone can play), even the AVI container can hold many
different codecs.

If you have the matroska full pack installed, there is a tool called
'matroskadiag.exe' coming with it. It can analyze your MKV file and if
you send us the log of the scan to this list here (its a small txt file)
we can give you advice if its possible or not, and also if its sensible
or not.