[Matroska-users] Re: great program, does it work on a mac?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Dec 31 16:29:36 CET 2005

Hi,

thanks for the kind words. Bear in mind, the amazing video quality of
the MKV movie you got is not thanks to matroska, but to the video codec
(compression format) that was used in it. matroska is just the container
(wrapper) giving the author of the movie the flexibility to combine his
preferred video codec with subtitles and any audio format he wanted to
use. matroska is similar to ZIP, but with the ability to play the file
without an 'unzipping' process before.

matroska was started to replace the old, outdated AVI container. We're
on a good way, but there is still a long way in fromt of us until MKV
will be more used than AVI.

To answer your question : The only players supporting MKV on MacOSX are

- VLC
- Xine
- mplayer

or there OSX compiles respectively. Just note that some video
compression formats are not supported on MacOSX, like Realvideo or ON2
VP 5/6/7. This is not our fault, but the decision of the companies
behind these compression formats to not replace decoder for Mac's.