[Matroska-users] Log for mkv file where video doesn't play

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Aug 29 15:12:16 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

there seems to be nothing wrong with your MKV file, just that its
creator has used a rather unknown, exotic video codec called ON2 VP6,
and the VLC player has no support for this one.

However, if you google for ON2 VP6 and install their (free IIRC)
DirectShow decoder filter, the file should play fine in Windows
Mediaplayer or any other (better) DirectShow based player, like
Zoomplayer, MPC or TCMP. Of course only if you have at least the
matroska lite playback pack installed, that is (i assume you are having
the full pack installed).

Speaking of the reasons why VLC has no support for this codec, ON2 is
doing the same mistake like RealNetworks and are not releasing free
decoder libraries for their video codec (using GPL or L-GPL license),
making it almost impossible to add decoding capabilities for these
codecs to the VLC player without breaking the GPL license that VLC is
released under. However, there could be the chance to write decoder
plugins for VLC using existing DLLs or the DirectShow filters directly,
but nobody has done that yet.

If you cant consider to use a DirectShow based player at all on your PC,
you may check if maybe Xine or mplayer and their win32 compiles will
offer some form of support for ON2 VP6.

http://www.matroska.org