[Matroska-users] APE support

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Aug 20 10:01:33 CEST 2005

Hey,

On Saturday 20 August 2005 07:46, Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

> APE is opensource ? Thats news to me :O

I've looked at the website, and it seems that they've indeed changed
that a bit. It is his own license, however, and that one is IMHO not
compatible to the GPL. The problem is this clause:

> 1. The use of any of the Monkeys Audio source code or any component
>    thereof from another program requires express written permission from
>    the author of Monkeys Audio.

If I remember correctly then the GPL explicitely disallows restrictions
upon re-distribution. Meaning that if I would use parts of the MA source
code in my code then my code must be distributable however someone wants
to as long as he complies with the GPL. This also clashes with BSD-like
licenses and the LGPL.

So using the SDK or any information therefrom without a license change
for that part will not be possible in combination with most of the Open
Source software out there.

But then again, IANAL, so I may be wrong here.

If you want to look at the license then download
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/files/MAC_SDK_399.zip and look at the file
Source\License.htm.

> We do have supportt for FLAC and Wavpack already, and these two are
> truely opensource, including ecnoder.

Correct. Due to the problem with the license I'm against spending any
time on MA at the moment.

Mosu