[Matroska-users] No video for mkv

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Aug 13 12:37:14 CEST 2005

Ysor schrieb:

> Same problem as encountered by "guest" in "no video for mkv" topic on
> "videolan forums"
> (<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=11317&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=matroska&sid=f2e17ef997128048f4eb7535e40a4290>).
> No response on the site. I've installed VLC last release (0.8.2 for
> windows), Matroska complete pack (french v1.1.1). Using VLC, i get
> audio without video; and i don't know howto watch the videos using
> matroska pack.
> Please help. Regards.

Your MKV file likely contains Realvideo ( RV9/RV10 ) and those won't
play in VLC for the time being. Real Networks does not release open
decoder sources under GPL, and the VLC devs will follow the GPL to the
letter. Xine and mplayer on Linux circumvent the GPL by linking to the
existing win32 DLLs, the plugins can be found on the net.

On Windows, install Realplayer or RealAlternative ( google ), install
our full pack from http://packs.matroska.org and all should work fine.

http://www.matroska.org