[Matroska-users] MKV Under Linux + Kaffeine

David Vortex doog at vortexmetal.net
Thu Aug 11 00:44:06 CEST 2005

Hi, I had problems decoding MKV files under linux...
I also found that a lot of people have the same problems under different video
players.

I had different error messages with some players like "unknow codec
id=`V_REAL/RV40'" and

I managed to play MKV files with Kaffeine under Kubuntu 5.4 that seem to be
encoded with some Matroska codec related to RealPlayer (?)...

The trick :

Download and extract the realplayer codecs "rp9codecs-20050115.tar" from
MPlayer's codec directory
(http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/).

Thers a line called "decoder.external.real_codecs_path:"  in
~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config.

Just uncomment it and put the path where you installed the realplayer codecs.
Voilà, it works for me !

-David