[Matroska-users] .mkv clashes with .ogg format

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Apr 3 11:25:37 CEST 2005

Hi Krishna Jaikal,

unfortunately this information doesn't help us a lot, especially because
there is no such thing as 'the' Ogg codecs for Windows. Xiph.org, the
corporation behind Ogg Vorbis, normally doesn't care a lot about Windows
implementations of their stuff, and so they really never released an
official filter/codec suite for Windows DirectShow AFAIK. What playback
filters for Ogg did you install, and where did you get them from ?

And, are we talking about Ogg Vorbis audio files, OGM ( Ogg Media )
video files or Ogg Theora video files ? Please note that OGM is a
bastard format based on Ogg, but created by an individual, without
official support form Xiph.org . Its development can be seen as
discontinued, fortunately you can convert those files into MKV files by
using mmg.exe from the MKVtoolnix set of matroska tools. Just load the
OGM file in mmg.exe ( press 'add' ), specify a file name and there you
go. Doing so will give you a spec compliant file, and even save a couple
of MB overhead ;) .....

http://www.matroska.org