[Matroska-users] Problem with video

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Nov 5 20:42:30 CET 2004

Hi Markku,

this is certainly one of the most asked questions we receive. We tried
to ensure users are pointed to the problem in the latest 1.0.3
installer, but obviously we still haven't done enough. If you install
the 1.0.3 full pack from http://packs.matroska.org, one of the last
windows should be a check if you have Realplayer installed. This has
become necessary because we had to learn that more and more users
release material in MKV files containing Realvideo ( RV 9 / RV 10 ) out
into the wild, in many cases combined with Vorbis audio and/or SRT/SSA
subtitles.

As we are not allowed to distribute the Realvideo decoder DLLs in our
packs ( Real Networks clearly forbids that ) we can do nothing but check
if Realplayer is installed or not, and point the users to the Realplayer
homepage or to Realalternative, an 'illegal' codec pack containing only
the decoder DLLs without the player. In any case, after installation of
either one, i am quite sure your MKV will play with both audio and
video, and in either TCMP, MPC, Zoomplayer or even WMP.

DONT try to play the file in Realplayer, it has no idea what MKV files
actually are. All we need from the installation of Realplayer ( Real One
suffice ) are the decoder DLLs for Realvideo decoding.