[Matroska-users] Re: how do you make this work

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Nov 28 21:25:58 CET 2004

Marc,

you have to understand that matroska is a general use video container,
so your file can basically contain about 250 different audio or video
compression formats we know of. To be able to help you with this file (
being a polite guy, i am NOT asking you now where you got it from, and
why you cant ask the author what compression he was using ) i need more
info about it.

Goto http://corecoded.com and download the latest Core Media Player (
TCMP 4.01 Iris Edition ), install it. Add the file to the playlist of
the player, right click on it and goto 'properties' 'matroska info' and
try to tell me how many audio/video/subs streams your file contains, and
what codec ID's are being used. With this information i shall be able to
tell you what other filters/decoders you have to install, besides our
full pack, to play this file in WMP.

Alternatively you can try to use VLC 8 from http://www.videloan.org , it
can play almost any MKV file under the sun wihtout the need to install
any decoder filters, with the exception of MKV containing Realvideo 9 (
RV 9 / RV 10 / RV 40 ).

Best regards

C. Wiesner

P.S. I copied my reply to the matroska-users mailing list. It would be
safer to send your reply to there too, as the other team members may
help you while i am travelling, with no internet access.