[Matroska-users] mkvtoolnix 1.0 is out :)

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Nov 17 15:28:43 CET 2004

Hey,

Finally! Here it is: mkvtoolnix 1.0

I've meant to release this for over a week now, but something always
got in the way. But no longer :) After...

- nearly one year and ten months after joining the Matroska team on
  2003-01-14,

- over one year and five months since the first public release on
  2003-06-12,

- writing more than 62000 lines of code, documentation and examples,

- a LOT of bugs,

- as many bug fixes,

- way too many hours of coding, idling on IRC, writing mails and posts
  to various forums

... I've decided to call this release 1.0.

And I'm REALLY happy to have gotten this far. Because to be honest --
I don't do this for myself. If I was I would have stopped a long time
ago, because the features that I want and need have been there for
quite some time now. No, I work on this project for three reasons:

1. Fame,
2. Money,
3. becoming the Supreme Overlord of the Known Universe.

Less important reasons are:

1. I believe that Matroska is a great project, and that the multimedia
   scene needed such a container.
2. You ask for it :) Seriously. Your constant feedback (be it bug
   reports or feature requests) tells me what I've done wrong and
   what you need. I really prefer doing things that a lot of people
   can use over doing things only I might need.
   So everyone out there contributing to the project, coding for
   Matroska, sending patches, reporting bugs, nagging me about new
   features, providing sample files (!), sending a nice postcard or a
   nice cup from this year's European championship in Portugal (!!) --
   a big THANKS from my side to you all. You keep the project going as
   much as I do.
3. I like coding in general, and I like coding on this container level
   in particular. It's fun :)

So what have I accomplished? Well, mkvtoolnix can handle a small
number of different containers and flat file formats like

- AAC,
- AC3,
- AVI
- DTS,
- FLAC,
- Matroska ;)
- MP3,
- Ogg/OGM,
- Quicktime/MP4,
- RealMedia,
- SRT,
- SSA/ASS,
- TTA,
- VobSubs and
- WAV.

It can deal with a number of different codecs, meaning it knows
exactly how to put them into Matroska:

- AAC,
- AC3,
- DTS,
- FLAC,
- MP3,
- PCM,
- RealAudio,
- RealVideo (pretty much all versions),
- SRT,
- SSA/ASS
- TTA,
- different video formats,
- VobSubs,
- Vorbis

On top of that mkvmerge can handle attachments, chapters, tags,
reorder tracks... There is a totally horrible GUI called mmg ;) which
is probably the reason for mkvtoolnix' success on Windows (even though
I really, really don't like GUI programming). There's a tool that can
get most of those tracks out of a Matroska file into other container
formats again. And there's a tool for getting information on a
per-element level from a Matroska file.

Quite some work, I assure you, but you know why I keep on doing this
:)

Another round of thanks goes out to the "core" of the Matroska team
and those who don't consider themselves a member of the team but
who've done tremendous work nevertheless (/me waves to alexnoe ;)).

Where will I go from here? A few months ago I posted a "1.0 release
plan", and I haven't changed my expectations since then. I will
continue the 1.0 line with bug fixes only. I've started working on
another code branch, often called 'trunk', which will result in a
releast "1.2" next year. This is where new features will be
implemented like support for MPEG1/2 video (already working on that,
good progress), support for native MPEG4, support for appending /
concatenating files (already working on that with very good progress),
partial redesign of mmg etc. The "1.0" release line will stay stable
and (hopefully) mostly bug free.

And now to the usual links to...
... the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
... the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/sources/mkvtoolnix-1.0.tar.bz2
... the Windows binaries:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-1.0.rar

Binary packages for Debian, FedoraCore and SuSE have already been
built and uploaded to the home page.

Here are the final changes between 0.9.7 and 1.0:
---------------------- cut -----------------------------
2004-11-10  Moritz Bunkus  <moritz at bunkus.org>

	* mkvmerge: bug fix: The Matroska reader doesn't insist on having
	a default duration ( = FPS) for video tracks in the "AVI
	compatibility mode" ( = with the CodecID "V_MS/VFW/FOURCC"). This
	enables re-muxing of Matroska files created from MP4 files.

2004-11-05  Moritz Bunkus  <moritz at bunkus.org>

	* mmg: bug fix: File names with non-ASCII characters were not
	working if mmg was compiled against a Unicode enabled wxWidgets.

2004-11-04  Moritz Bunkus  <moritz at bunkus.org>

	* mkvmerge: new feature: Added reading DTS from AVIs and from
	Matroska files.

	* mkvmerge: bug fix: A variable initialization was missing which
	very recent gcc versions (3.4.2) did not like very much. Also
	fixed a small compilation bug.

You see, a couple of small bug fixes and small additions. Nothing
major, and nothing to worry about.

That's it for tonight. Have fun :)

Mosu