[Matroska-users] Re: DVD

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Jul 11 08:51:33 CEST 2004

Punkrawk wrote:

> Chris-
>     I have not found a good way to convert a MKV file to a DVD MPEG-2
> compliant file.  Is this possible?
>
> - Punkrawk
>
> Punkrawk Studios
> http://www.PunkrawkStudios.com

Yes, it is, but i am very sorry, i dont have the time to give a
detailled explanation, you will also understand that its not really in
the center of our interest that our beautiful MKV files are constantly
converted into VCDs, DVDs or ( even worse ;-) ) AVI files ...... :-) ....

A good hint on how to do it would be :

1. DirectShow method ( works best IMO ) :

- install the packs from http://packs.matroska.org
- make sure the files play in WMP 6.4 ( mplayer2.exe )
- if the MKV contains RealVideo 9/10, install Realplayer or
realcodec.exe, so that the DLLs for RV9 decoding are present on your system
- Fire up TMPEGencoder and goto 'options' 'environmental settings'
'VFAPI plugin' and give 'DirectShow source reader' the highest priority
- the file should load in TMPEGencoder then

2. mkvextract method :

- get the mkvtoolnix package from http://mkvtoolnix.matroska.org ,
including runtimes
- run mkvinfo on the file, to see how many tracks it contains and what
their track numbers are
- use mkvextract to demux every single track into its native format (
not supported now : vobsub DVD subtitles )
- create your DVDs like you normally do, if the native formats of the
tracks are supported in your DVD creation app

I hope this was helpful