[Matroska-users] technical problem - cannot open .mkv file

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Jan 31 15:13:34 CET 2004

Michael,

are you sure the file is not corrupt ? This may happen in some rare
cases, if the download was disturbed ?

Please try the follwing three things :

1. Right click on your MKV movie in Windows Explorer. Goto 'open with',
then 'select' and point it to c:\program
files\WindowsMediaplayer\mplayer2.exe . Then lets see if good old WMP
6.4 can open the file, if TCMP cant.

2. If 1. doesnt work, goto http://www.videolan.org and download the
latest win32 binaries of VLC, which comes with native matroska support
and is NOT based on DirectShow. Latest release should be 0.7.0 if am not
mistaken. The VLC GUI is not self explaining ( IMO ), so you might find
you have to fiddle a bit, or even read the docs quickly on how to open a
file.

3. Last option i can offer is MPC, Media Player Classic. Its half based
on DirectShow, half coming with internal support. You get it from
http://sf.net/projects/guliverkli , its only an .exe, so there is no
need for an installation or such. Just extract it to a folder, and run
the exe.

If all of those options fail, and you are still motivated to make this
work, we need to do some testing on your file using some special
programs we have done, because it may be corrupt then. But, as matroska
has some pretty good ways to eliminate/correct errors, we may be able to
rescue the file ( which for most AVIs is impossible BTW ).

Christian