[Matroska-users] technical problem - cannot open .mkv file

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at wiesneronline.net
Fri Jan 30 11:06:56 CET 2004

Hi Michael,

are you actually sure that this movie is using DivX or XviD as video
codecs ? As a general use container format, matroska is supporting a lot
of different video and audio codecs. Now, there is a very easy way to
find out what codec was used in your movie, as you have 'The Core Media
Player' installed. TCMP, as we call it, is coming with a special program
called 'The matroska CDL' that can directly read important file
information from the movie.

To do that, highlight your movie in the TCMP playlist, then right click
on it and goto the last element in the dropdown list, called 'file
properties'. In the 'matroska info' tab you have the possibility to look
at all the important information for every 'track' in your MKV file, be
it the video, audio or subtitles tracks. The first track usually is the
video track, and the CDL will tell you the so called 'codec ID' for it.
 From this codec ID we can tell you what video compression format was
used, and what decoder you have to install to be able to play the movie.
Personally, i assume this movie is using the great RealVideo 9 codec,
and you need to install the Real DLLs to be able to view them. In this
case, the codec ID of the video track is something like 'V_REAL/RV40' .
RealOne, RealNetworks free player, will deliver the necessary DLLs to
your system after installation, but there are other ways also ;-) ....

Please tell us the codec ID of the video track so we can help you better.

Christian