[Matroska-users] Re: hello

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Dec 26 13:16:20 CET 2004

remy low schrieb:

> <>*Q:* How can i play matroska files on my PC ?
> *A:* On the download page
> <http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html> you will always find
> the link to the very latest DirectShow parser filter, that way you
> will be able to play your .mkv files on Microsoft Windows wi th every
> DirectShow based player such as Windows Mediaplayer (6.4/7/8/9),
> Zoomplayer and BSplayer. The best playback support from Windows is
> currently achieved with The Core Media Player <http://corecoded.com/>,
> if the matroska CDL plugin wa s used.
> For Linux PCs, as well as for MacOSX and the X-Box emulation you have
> to get the newest version of mplayer, and make sure to have a
> compilation that will include libebml and libmatroska. Suitable RPMs
> are available from Mosu's mkvtoolnix site
> <http://www.bu%0Ankus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/>.Thats the faq,and
> thats what i did, i think.I have core dmedia player.And i downloaded
> and installed the matroska full pack after that.But my mkv files aint
> working.pls help

I read your other email that you have Realmedia player installed also,
and to be honest i dont know what to tell you what could be missing. How
big is the file ? Where did you get it ? Any hints in the filename what
compression standard was used for video and audio ?

There is a tool that might help you here, its a new tool from Toff
called   matroskadiag.exe , it will analyse your MKV file and tell you
what filters are missing for playback. Here is the link to it :
http://www.matroska.org/%7Etoff/MatroskaDiag.exe

>   <>Comments for the website:A step by step guide to play mkv files
> for 1st time users/noobs.(without the lengthy explanations and
> sidelines introductory and side knowledge facts) Thank u.

Feel free to write one after you got your files playing, we gladly
upload it  ;-) ....

http://www.matroska.org