[Matroska-users] Re: [Matroska-devel] hey

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Aug 20 19:10:54 CEST 2004

truong nguyen wrote:

> i got a chinese movie(mkv file) and wonder if i could burn it to a
> disc.....when i try to convert mkv to avi it work fine but the
> subtitle just vanish and i dun understand jack..............so i was
> wondering if u could help me thanx alot

First of all, the matroska-devel list is certainly the wrong list for
such requests. I am copying matroska-users list instead, please direct
all your replies to there in future.

Second, you can burn MKV files just like anyother file to a CD. The CD
burning program wont care what extension the file has, it allows you to
literally store any kind of files on it, even matroska files. I expect
that the trouble you have is because your are telling your burning app (
Nero, WinOnCD, whatever ) to create a Video CD ( VCD ), or Super Video
CD ( SVCD ) from your mkv file. This is not at all necessary if you just
want to burn it to Disc, but only if you want to play it in your
standalone DVD/VCD player. In any case, this is also not recommended
because you will loose a lot of picture quality from the video
conversion process.

There are ways to preserve *one* subtitle stream ( of the many many a
MKV file can contain ) when creating a VCD/SVCD from a MKV file, but its
a bit complicated. So, please tell us what you have in mind, so we can
help you accordingly. If you are happy with the MKV and just want to
store it on disc, treat it like simple data, and you are done.