[Matroska-users] Re: How to compile libmatroska

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Aug 18 13:35:48 CEST 2004

Jean-Jacques Cortes wrote:

>Hello Chris
>
>I write you because I would like to know how to compile libmatroska on Mac
>OS X using Xtools. As I am sure I am not the only one in this case, could
>you explain on matroska.org how to compile sources, please ?
>Another solution would be to put ready to use binaries.
>Thank you a lot.

Hi Jacques,

i will forward this to the chief developer of the project, Steve
'robux4' Lhomme from Paris, as he is owning an iBook and might be able
to help you here.

>I tried to watch the two sample files of the Matrix 2 trailer directly with
>VLC 0.7.2 (without installing libmatroska since I can't compilate it). Here
>are the results :
>I can have both sound and video with :
>Matrix.Reloaded.Trailer-640x346-XviD-1.0beta2-HE_AAC_subtitled.mkv
>I have only sound with :
>Matrix.Reloaded.Trailer-RV9-Karl640x432_HE_AAC_subtitled_chapters.mkv
>And VLC 0.7.2 displays this message :
>main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'.
>VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
>Why the first sample works and not the other one, that's the question. :-(
>Regards  Jean-Jacques Cortes

The problem is that VLC does not support Realvideo ( RV9 / RV10 / codec
ID : V_REAL/RV40 ), as Real Networks Corporation never released a
working decoder under the GPL or L-GPL license, and the VLC developers
will follow the GPL to the letter, forbidding to link to closed DLLs (
unless they are part of the OS itself ). There is a mplayer compilation
for MacOSX existing also, but AFAIK it will also not play MKV's with RV9
content ( it can do that on Linux and Windows ) because the only
available decoder DLL is only for little Endian machines, and thus
unusable on Mac's .

So, for the time being, i am sorry to tell you that MKVs with RV9
content can not be played on Mac OSX. I heard that the free Helix player
from Real Networks is available in a compilation for Mac's, but it also
cant play RV9/10, only old RV8 ( strange thinking from Real Network IMO
:-( ), and until there is no decoder library for RV9 for big Endian
machines, we have no chance to get this working.

Sorry i dont have any better news for you, lets hope somebody will
reverse engineer RV9/10 one day and add a free decoder to FFMPEG /
libavcodec ;-) ...

http://www.matroska.org