[Matroska-users] (no subject)

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Sep 18 22:20:26 CEST 2003

If you are a newbie to subs, dont use SSA, but the simple SRT format,
matroska can handle both. SubRip or VobSub will output SRT subs when
OCRing the VobSub picture subtitles from DVDs, but please note that OCR
wont work very well on the more 'uncommon' languages, you may have to
edit the subs after the OCR process.

These SRT subs can be muxed fine into your MKV file with both
VirtualdubMod and mkvmerge ( latest version of mkvmerge is 0.7.0 and
comes with a GUI :) ! ), but only mkvmerge can handle SSA subs for the
time being.

In VdubMod, enter 'streams' , 'stream list' and go to 'add stream', then
select your SRT subtitles ( SSA dont work in VdubMod ). For mkvmerge, i
havent tested the new GUI myself, but Mosu is well known for his perfect
documentation :), it can be found on his normal website
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/index.html

Regards

Christian