[Matroska-users] What do I need??

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Oct 22 23:09:05 CEST 2003

Jose Ortega wrote:

> Hi  I've just downloaded a film in mkv format. It's something new for
> me. I've download a few programs to try to reproduce de film, but no
> success.

Its hard to tell us what you need without any details about what video
codecs the movie is using. Anyhow, download first the latest playback pack

http://downloads.matroska.org/packs/

and install it. If it still doesnt play, i am assuming your video is
using RealVideo 9 ( RV9 ) as video codec. In this case get Gabest's
RealSplitter filter from http://sf.net/projects/guliverkli , or better
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&release_id=182340
( direct link )  . Then all you need is either one of the RealPlayer
players installed,  preferably RealONE, or you get one of the
alternative real codec packs from the internet.

If both measures dont help to play your movie( this is very unlikely
:-)  ), download jcsston's shell extension ver 2.2 from
http://downloads.matroska.org/downloads/cdl , install it, open the
Windows explorer and right click on the file, goto 'properties' and tell
us what codec IDs were used on your file. These will usually start with
'A_xxxx' for audio and 'V_xxx' for video ... if we know those, we know
what audio/video codecs were used in your file, and then we can give you
a more directed tip.