[Matroska-users] XML Tags explanation

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Nov 10 09:12:44 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm at the stage of creating tags for the files I've encoded, and I've got a
few questions about the tags and what should go in them.

The <VideoGenre> tag is apparently four bytes long, but the 'older page' with
the explanation only gives two bytes for it.  The show I'm encoding is an old
science fiction TV series, so I imagine I'd use the codes 0x02, 0x06 (TV
series, sci-fi) so should I leave the other two bytes as 0x00 then?

As the content I'm encoding is a TV show, what would be the best way to store
the episode numbers?  There's a series number, a story number and an episode
number, so I'm referring to them in the filename in that order as 01x01a,
01x01b, 01x02a, etc.  Should I just put them like this in the title?  Where
should I store the story name and the episode name?

Also, what's the difference between the <Language> tag, and supplying
--language to mkvmerge?  Is one method better than the other?

Thanks,
Adam.