[Matroska-users] Corrupt .mkv when using PCM audio

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 25 06:46:49 CET 2003

> Ok, before you start worrying I just encoded the .wav and merged it as an
> .ogg and encountered the same problem.

Oh right, ok, it was my mistake after all.  It does highlight an unusual
situation however.

I tried merging the AVI video and Ogg audio in as normal, however I normally
have an MPEG4 video track and (unused) PCM audio track in the AVI.  But this
time to save some time I just had the PCM audio track in the AVI.  So when I
went to create the .mkv file, I was merging a video track from the PCM-only
AVI, and an audio track from a Vorbis file.

I'm not sure what the intended outcome should be for that, but I'd assume no
video track (or an 'empty' one, if there's such a thing) and a Vorbis audio
track.

Judging from the mkvinfo output, this seems to be the case, however playing
the resulting file in mplayer fails with the following message:

Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4102 in 918075 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.

Which I imagine is because there's a video track that's *waaay* too short, but
plenty of audio.  I don't know whether you'd consider this a bug, but for the
time being I consider it my own silly mistake ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.