[Matroska-general] geographical metadata in mkv container ?

Jeremy Ardley jeremy.ardley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 14:53:50 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm interested in adding markup (metadata) information to videos. At
present I use videos in webm format and use mkvmerge to add an xml file
to produce a mkv file. My own custom application can then extract the
xml file and parse it while ordinary players can play the video/audio.

The metadata describes some details of the video. In particular the time
varying GPS coordinates of the camera and azimuth plus other info such
as the subject GPS coordinates.

Before I get too far into my project:

- Is there any similar project?
- Is there a 'neat' way to tie metadata to particular times in the
video/audio stream?

In the end I'd like to play a video and as a side activity display a map
(google maps ?) showing the location of the camera(s) and the
subject(s). I realise there is no application to do this right now but
if there was, is there a preferred way to encode the camera and subject
metadata that could be used by a combined player and map visualisation
application

--
Jeremy Ardley