[Matroska-general] questions about the MKV test suite

Cunsuo Guo cunsuo.guo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:55:19 CEST 2011

Hello,
I'm currently working on a project related to MKV demux, and I have
some questions about the MKV test suite. The following is the description
about my question.
When I analyse the test1.mkv file form the MKV test suite using
AVI-Mux GUI, I found that the video data is not what I expected. The
video CodecID of test1.mkv is V_MS/VFW/FOURCC, and AVI-Mux GUI shows
that its FOURCC is MP42. Then the video data should be a MPEG4 stream,
right? But the video data does not begin with 0x000001 (which all
MPEG4 video stream begin with), instead it begins with 0x0978fe1f. I
believe the test suite must be OK, so there's must be something wrong
with my understanding. Could you please let me know where I'm wrong?
I'm not familiar with V_MS/VFW/FOURCC, does it have something to do
with the video data not beginning with 0x000001?

Thanks for your time,
Cunsuo