[Matroska-general] [Matroska-devel] Matroska v3

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Thu Feb 24 08:17:39 CET 2011

I'd like to see a few metadata changes for V3. Not having read the spec
recently, and admittedly not having as much time to dedicate to this as I
would like, some of this may already be included.

I know of one company with an interest in adding some metadata to various
elements. This metadata would be safely ignorable, so any parser that
doesn't understand the metadata can and should ignore it with no detrimental
effects, except the small increase in file size. As such I'd really like to
see some clarity in the spec that this is acceptable, along with clarity
that such additional metadata MUST be safely ignorable. How widespread the
use of this will be is debatable, but the hope is that files from [sorry not
giving out even that data yet, at least not publicly] will be widespread.

The same company will be offering contributions on the tag discussion that
was happening recently, but will happily work within whatever restrictions
are finalized. The only problem I see with the proposals so far is that they
don't cover that many videos and audios have different edits. Just off the
top of my head, I know that Caligula had at least 6 different edits, ranging
from a generally acceptable rating suggesting adult supervision, to one edit
that is illegal throughout most of the world, not including the pre-release
edits. Add in releases that are language specific, the various "child-safe"
editting services, and the others. It is actually quite easy for a
particular movie to have over a dozen versions, and having worked on music
significantly, there are often several final versions; one for radio, one
for CD, one for online sales, one for radio-edit CD, one for etc. Having
some way for the file to identify itself among these different versions
would be useful.

The big problem is the naming, unlike software versions, very often the
versions are simultaneous, and I'm open to suggestions.
                    Joe