[Matroska-general] Misc News

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Sep 19 17:05:36 CEST 2010

It has been a while since I emailed about what's going on in the
Matroska world. I often put news [1] on the website and even more
often on Twitter [2]. But there may be some of view who don't follow
these channels. So here is a recap of what has happened lately.

The biggest and most important news of all is the suite of 8 test
files [3] we produced. They are made to test players for correct
Matroska compatibility/scalability. Make sure you test your devices
and let us know what you find out. It's also important to let the
manufacturer know where there are issues so they can fix them early in
the product life (deprecated products won't be updated and you will
not be able to play some perfectly valid Matroska files in the
future).

We now have 3D support in the specs via the StereoMode and
TrackOperation fields. Check in the specifications [4] and the
specification notes [5] for more details. There is currently no tools
to make such files, or even play them. We are going to work on that in
the coming weeks, especially in mkvmerge and VLC.

There is a new guideline for cover art [6] in Matroska as there has
been many demands and everyone seems to be doing their own
incompatible thing. So now people have some rules of what they should
expect from Matroska files and how they should put their cover arts in
there.

The order guideline [7] changed a little recently by recommending to
put attachments at the front of the file. This is better for fonts and
for cover art.

mkclean and mkvalidator are progressing nicely and produce good
result. But they are still consider beta tools until they reach
version 1.0.0. This is the same with libebml2/libmatroska2 on which
these tools are based. The internal code can change here and there
before it's considered stable. It shouldn't be long anymore as there
aren't so many things left to be done for version 1.0.0.

[1] http://www.matroska.org/news/index.html
[2] http://twitter.com/MatroskaOrg
[3] http://www.matroska.org/downloads/test_w1.html
[4] http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html